What does the Belgravia Community League (BCL) do? *
The BCL represents the community at its most basic level. It was incorporated June 1, 1954 and is registered as a Society with the provincial government and guided by our bylaws which were originally written in 1966 and recently amended at our June, 2015 AGM. BCL Bylaws 2015
All who volunteer their time and efforts to build a strong, diverse and proactive community include the:
- Board of Directors
- Hall Rental Coordinator
- Rink Manager
- Belgravian Newsletter editorial team
- Belgravia Cooperative Playschool (BCP)
- End of the World (EOW) Committee
- Belgravia Arts Park (BAP) Committee
- Hall Renewal Committee
Through these positions, the BCL:
- supports childcare needs within the community by making the hall available for play school, lunch and play programs during the day.
- maintains and manages the hall and outdoor rink
- supports children’s soccer games and stores BelMac soccer equipment.
- plans community wide events like the fall BBQ, Halloween Pumpkin Party, Family Day celebrations and Made in Belgravia sessions.
- organizes community meetings for residents to discuss neighbourhood & civics issues.
- represents the community at the city level on development matters
- publishes and distributes the Belgravian Newsletter
- manages the BCL Webpage and other social media
- raises funds for building and maintaining community resources like the hall, rink, play grounds and Belgravia Arts Park.
Sources of BCL funding *
- Each year we apply for an operating grant from the City of Edmonton that covers hall maintenance, electricity, heating and water used at the hall.
- BCL Memberships
- Donations from community residents.
- Hall rental income
- Casino (every 20 months or so) funds for (larger projects and designated events)
Membership Benefits *
- Your BCL membership makes communication between you and the BCL Board possible and hence, helps the community league represent you and other members on important issues.
- A BCL membership allows you to:
- Rent the hall
- Skate at the BCL and all other City community league rinks with skate tags that can be requested when you purchase a membership
- Participate in children’s community soccer and hockey organizations
- Receive membership rates for any advertising in The Belgravian Newsletter
- Receive membership rates in community league events like the fall BBQ, pumpkin party and other BCL sponsored events like our Made in Belgravia series
- Get discounts on passes and monthly memberships at all City of Edmonton recreation centres, including the Kinsmen Field House
How to get your BCL Membership *
Note: A current membership year is September 1 – August 31 of any given year.
- The BCL kicks off its membership drive at the September Community League BBQ at the hall followed by a door-to-door membership drive over the fall months
- Fill out the membership form that is published in the Belgravian Newsletter and return to the specified address
- Send a request to email@example.com
- Pay online (with an additional $2 fee) through the Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues at http://www.efcl.org/